9 Best Data Loss Prevention Practices
PREVENT DATA LOSS
When we talk about electronic data, there are different forms of data an organisation needs to maintain. The primary data includes names, contact details and sales information about all the clients of your company. The operational data involves all the details about your company’s staff. The third and most important data type is intellectual property details. It includes all the confidential information about your company’s products, ideas, projects, plans and services.
Go through the following data loss prevention techniques to prevent data loss in your computer thereby keeping your files extremely safe:
• Any computer that tries to access the internet through an unsecured connection faces serious security threats from the hackers who try to crack into your network to steal your data. Cross-site scripting and SQL attacks are some of the highly common ways to pierce into the system. This is precisely where a Firewall is needed as it makes your system less vulnerable by creating a filter between a network and your computer.
• To protect your files and data adequately, you need to install a multi-layer security system in your company network. You need to create strong passwords that are difficult to guess.
• In case somebody manages to crack the first level, you need to define secondary codes and question requests that are impossible to work out.
• Most of the expert hackers are successful in penetrating into your network and access data no matter which firewall and how complicated the passwords you set up. The best way to overcome this problem is by getting supervision of your network by technical experts on a timely basis. They can manage your devices jointly and identify if there are any errors visible.
• Take regular backups of your data. Make sure you don’t store your data on a corrupted hard disk or drive that is affected by a virus.
• Install a latest version of anti-virus in your computer and keep it regularly updated. Anti-virus without a proper update is equal to none as most new strands of viruses get spread across the network every day.
• Avoid data loss in your computer due to power surges. Get a UPS with enough power backup to keep your computer running correctly even during power failure. A UPS can provide you sufficient time to take a back-up of your vital files and documents in case of an interrupted power supply.
• Avoid doing any modification to the system registry of your computer. Over-tweaking your system to achieve a boost in its performance may put you in a terrible situation.
• Practice regular maintenance of your equipment along with essential hardware disks on a daily basis. Clean up unused files from your system so that it will help you to achieve an easy data recovery.
Data loss is a crucial cause of damage to corporate systems that eventually results in most of the businesses shutting down. Recently conducted research has stated that more than 50% of companies face a data loss situation and nearly 30% out of them couldn’t recover it because of inadequate planning and ignorance. Find out some other protection tips to protect your computer further.