Applying for SSL Certificates using Sonicwall VPN Connections
ith a Sonicwall SSL virtual private network (VPN), it is possible for you to use VPN solutions that make it possible for you to access corporate assets remotely through broadband in a dependable and safe manner. When a network administrator wants to install a certificate to enable the device to be accessed with a certificate error, they will need to request for the certificate and import it from its authority. In order to do that, you will need to create a request for certificate signing using your appliance. Here is a detailed guide to use when applying for certificates for SonicWall firewall connections.
Steps to Apply for A Sonicwall VPN Connections Certificate
- First, you will need to log into your appliance. You can then click on System>Certificate>New Signing request
- Fill Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) that you intend to use for SSL and fill out the Certificate Signing Request.
- You can now download CSR. Use the text editor to make any edits. One of the best options that you can use is Notepad++. This is because it keeps a format that will make it easy to copy the CSR request over to the Certificate authority.
- Contact the certificate authority and ask them for the SSL. Provide the CSR when they request for it. Take note that when you are downloading the already signed certificate from a Certificate Authority like Thawte or GoDaddy, you will need to choose a server platform such as Apache SSL.
- Once the Certificate Authority has been given a certificate, you will need to upload it to Pending Request.
Installing the SSL Certificate
- The Certificate Authority (CA) will send the SSL certificate via email and will be included in a zip file. All you will need to do is to download that zip file before extracting it to the server directory. You can then create a fresh zip file using the name certkey.zip. These two files should be inserted in â€œserver.leyâ€ or â€œserver.crtâ€ into the specific folder.
- A pop-up window will appear. Click on the button marked â€œBrowseâ€ and choose a server.zip file to get into your email. Then click on the â€œUploadâ€ button. This will bring up the certificate on the list of certificates under the certificate page.
Setting up the SSL certificate
- Click on System > Certificate page > Server certificate. This is usually at the right side of the SSL certificate, showing pending request. Then click on the icon dubbed Configuration.
- You will be required to input the password that you created during the CSR generation.
- You should then click Submit.
- You will once again need to click on System > Certificate page > Server Certificates. Now you need to choose the certificate that you would like to make active.
- On the page of System > Certificate page, you will need to click on the button marked Apply.
- You should then restart your appliance
- In order to restart it, you should expand the table under System>Certificates>Restart
With these steps, you would have completed the installation of your SSL certificate.